Argumentative essays provide high school students with an opportunity to explore important issues and express their opinions about them.
Argumentative essay topics for high school can be quite complex and require a thorough understanding of the subject matter.
Students should be encouraged to read widely on the topic before they compose an argumentative essay so that they understand both sides of the argument.
Allowing students to choose their own argumentative essay topics can increase their level of commitment to the writing process and make them think more deeply about the topic.
Some popular argumentative essay topics for high school include the following:
1. Should schools make the switch to digital textbooks?
2. Should teachers be allowed to use technology in the classroom?
3. Should students be required to wear uniforms?
4. Should parents be allowed to choose their children’s schools?
5. Should schools offer more career guidance for their students?
6. Is the current education system adequately preparing students for the future?
7. Should students be allowed to opt out of standardized testing?
8. Should school entry fees be abolished?
9. Should college tuition fees be lowered?
10. The advantages and disadvantages of homeschooling.
By selecting argumentative essay topics from this list, high school students can engage in an in-depth analysis of both sides of the argument and reach a more informed conclusion.
Argumentative essays are excellent vehicles to challenge critical-thinking skills, develop research skills, and in turn, help students take a stand on relevant, current issues.